Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Summer is Ending - Oh No!

It's mid-August and my cardstock for this year's Holiday Cards arrived yesterday at the shop. I'll be unpacking that today to make sure everything I need is in the box, then doing some tests on Wednesday on a single piece. I'm trying a few different techniques and products this year with no guarantee that what I just purchased will actually work for the final product. Experimentation is the name of the game!


The trucks bearing the Might Midway rides are starting to gather. I
was behind one as it turned into the street bordering the Fairgrounds
last night. It's starting soon! I'd better get my pre-purchase tickets
bought tomorrow. 

I saw the first trucks bearing components for the Midway rides at the Minnesota State Fair driving toward the Fairgrounds yesterday. OMG, the summer is coming to an end so quickly! Now is the time when I want to grab it by the shirttails and pull, holding it back from moving along. I know I can't manage that feat, but it doesn't stop my wanting it.





I love the colors of Autumn, those warm reds and oranges, splashed
with the last few brave greens. 


It's not that I don't love autumn. The colors of the fall leaves and the foods of the harvest make me very happy indeed. It's more that autumn is followed by winter; and although it has beauty in its silence, winter is still my least favorite season. Yet here I am, planning to begin executing this year's holiday card, so I guess winter is on my mind after all.


There are a variety of designers and levels of talent for this
season's cast. The lady in the back with the blue hair is Samantha
Rei from Minneapolis, the lady in the back, third from the left,
is Kenya Freeman from Atlanta, and we have a set of
twins this time who are very talented, Claire and Shawn
Buitendorp from Grand Ledge, Michigan. 


I didn't remember to mention that I watched Project Runway Season 16 Designer Preview last Thursday night. It looks like there will be some very interesting designers and personalities on the show for this season. The actual competition kicks off on Thursday night, so set your recorders or your alarm clocks. Fashion will once again stalk the Runway.


Claire Buitendorp loves to work in leather and has
a really edgy style. I loved this jacket of hers.
To see the closets of the designers, just follow
the link to the photos page for the show. 


One thing I love is that this season their models will range from size 0 to size 22, pushing the designers to prove that they can design for any type of body. Additionally, there are several designers accepted who design menswear or androgynous, unisex clothing. It will be very interesting to see how they do.

There are some skilled designers who will be challenging the Runway this season, but the question comes down to managing to design and produce a finished outfit under pressure. The time pressures for this show are immense. A jacket that took a week to sew at home, now has to be complete within a few hours, along with a skirt and top. It's never easy, but it's always fun - LOL. Enjoy your Tuesday, I'm getting into gear for a busy day (I'm being an optimist today).


No comments: