Thursday, August 17, 2017

Computers, Trees and Rocks

I left the gym yesterday morning to find a text from my Computer Guru telling me to bring DH's computer to him around 7:30 am. That was do-able, so when I got home I unconnected the CPU, loaded it into my car, and headed north. Traffic going away from the Cities in the early morning is always lighter than the parking lot for the return trip, so I wasn't worried about being late getting out to Dale's. In fact, I had time to grab a quick cup of coffee before continuing to his home.


This is Georgie, a beautiful cat who let me scritch, stroke and
give him lots of love for almost 20 minutes yesterday morning at
Dale's place. He's a feral, but appears at their door every
morning to take his R&R in their home. Isn't he gorgeous? 

While Dale was wrestling with the ON/OFF switch (and it wasn't the easiest fix we've ever dealt with), I met a member of his family I hadn't had the chance to meet nose to paw before. The photo is of Georgie, a beautiful feral cat who has decided that staying somewhere safe for lazy days and then going out to hunt for the nights is the height of happiness. Dale did get him fixed, and checked over by the Veterinarian, but Georgie is fine - great even - and I had him purring and drooling from lap love in no time. It's funny, but I didn't have any allergies to him. I know I don't always feel terrible with cats, though. Sometimes it's the cumulative exposure that's my trigger. Anyway, I had to share this beautiful boy with all of my cat-loving friends out there.

It took more than an hour for Dale and I working in concert to get that darned switch fixed and reset, so we glued it into place so that nothing will move it out of place again. It was small, it was extremely tight-fitting, and it finally required a LOT of push with very non-computer-use tools to get it reset correctly. But it's fixed now, and once again Dale didn't even charge me. We just had fun chatting about the cat, life in general, and how really annoying the switch's setting truly was.


The tree has two cables actually running through it, making
an already problematic take-down even more difficult.
The wooden post at the far right is the power pole, and
the tree is barely outside of the minimum 10-foot from
the pole rule for the tree removal equipment and the
safety of the workers. It's a bear of a job and I'll be
happy if it all comes off as planned. 


John, from Monster Tree, was on time, took a long and careful look at the tree and gave me a quote that I think was a bit high, but I still paid him the down-payment and went with it. We need the tree down before the landscapers come, and he can sandwich it into his schedule and get it done for us. So, one more thing on the schedule taken care of. I won't breathe easy until it is down, though. Things could still go wrong with this tree.


The paver stones for the patio area are quite pretty. By this time I'm
not sure exactly which of the three colors we decided on, but it really
doesn't matter. The old patio was falling apart and looked horrible.
Almost anything will be a vast improvement. 


DH will be ordering the paver stones for the patio either today or tomorrow. One of the local hardware stores has them on sale, and since we need 6 palettes worth of stones, it will work into a considerable savings. The only question will come down to "When can they be delivered?" That question will be followed by a hope that the truck will be able to put them where we want them. If not, DH will once again be transporting wheelbarrows full of stone to a temporary holding space. So many things have to click into place, it's rather nerve wracking. Last year everything depended on us - our schedule, our muscles, our vision. This year we've done all we can and now it's in the hands of others. If anyone drops the ball, it could cause an avalanche.

I'm really looking forward to my swimming today, and getting back to my normal schedule. We're already looking forward to the first weekend of Ren Fest upcoming, and once we're back on the Fest grounds, we'll know that summer is truly coming to an end. Enjoy your Thursday!


No comments: