Saturday, July 22, 2017

Le Tour de France Wraps Up

Le Tour de France wraps up this weekend and it's been a fantastic three weeks. DH and I will settle down with bagels and schmeer tomorrow while we watch the ride into Paris and the final sprint. Today, however, is the final day that can change the ultimate podium standings for the Yellow Jersey. Today is the time trial. Although it is unlikely that anyone will unseat Chris Froome from the top of the winner's podium, there are two vying for second place which is very much up for grabs.


Just one "hill" in the time trial today, but it will be enough for these
tired and battered riders. Chris Froome is an excellent timr trial rider, so
I don't expect his position to change, but the two in second and third
place? Well, that could be a battle royale. 



I've been extremely impressed by the Cannondale Drapac team. It's one of only nine teams who are coming into Paris intact - with all of the members still riding in the Tour. Rigoberto Uran would be on the podium right now, the question is which step - second or third? The other contender is Romain Bardet from AG2R who has been riding like a man possessed. This is the closest Tour de France in its 100+ year history with less than 30 seconds separating the top three. That's phenomenal when you think about the quantity of miles biked over the various terrains and through the winds, rains and heat. Wow!!!


The ride into Paris and around the Champ Elysees will determine the
final winner of the Green Jersey for the sprinters. Sometimes it
is settled out before Paris, but it's always an honor to win that final
stage of the race, so I'm sure it will still be exciting and hard fought. 


Chickie leaves for her vacation tomorrow and I'm on "Kitty Care Duty" beginning Monday morning. I'm really NOT looking forward to this - not because I don't like the cats. I actually love cats. But I'm allergic to them, so coming into the apartment, washing and filling their food bowls and cleaning their litter boxes and then leaving will result in my having a scratchy throat, running nose and tearing eyes for the rest of the day. Still, I'm helping out a good friend, so I'll be there for the cats and for Chickie. I'll sure be happy when she's back in town again!


I'm revising the Sinner's Gin series by Rhys Ford.
It's great getting to know the boys once more. 


Yesterday was my first day of using my underwater iPod for audio books instead of music and I LOVED IT! I'm revisiting a book I first read a few years ago, the first of a series. I'm having a blast getting to know the characters again. I'm already looking forward to my morning swim in the 50 meter pool, listening to the next portion of my audio book. Enjoy your weekend. You know where I'll be - swimming and watching the final two days of Le Tour 2017. Vive Le Tour de France!


No comments: