Saturday, May 20, 2017

Summer Is Coming!

How cam time move so quickly? Today is my final Saturday using the indoor pool until Labor Day weekend (final Saturday will be September 3rd). I'm going to try my best to enjoy my indoor pool today, but I also have to find some time during the next week to figure out my workout plan and schedule for the different lap lengths I'll be doing. There's a big difference between 36 laps vs 16 laps. The 50 meter Olympic length pool requires a different skill set, tests different boundaries and stamina levels, and missing count on a lap in the longer pool can really change a workout.


It's just the YMCA pool, so nothing outstanding in terms of extra amenities, but
it's filled, heating, and almost ready to go. Next Saturday will be the first day
for the outdoor pool and I'm looking forward to the change in workout and the
challenge that a 50 meter pool presents. 



I love the longer distance - it can be a challenge, but in a really good way. What I don't like is the fact that there are only two 50-meter pools in the metro area, so the pool sometimes gets really crowded. Still, making sure that I'm one of the first in the pool is helpful, and the indoor pool stays open for swimming all year, shifting to Monday-Friday only during the summer months. As one of the guys said yesterday, the dash to and from the pool will be cold, but the water will be warm and the distance is amazing and so much fun.


Summer is coming - heat, fun, and swimming outside. I'm looking forward
to the outdoor pool, but it's always a challenge to make the distance shift. 


In a way, the opening of the outdoor pool is also the opening of summer. Realistically, spring really just started a month ago, so summer is still a bit of a stretch, but it'll be warm soon enough and I'll be setting up a fan to keep cooler overnight instead of huddling under my quilt and afghan with a t-shirt and a hoodie. But that clock is ticking - Summer Is Coming!

Have a truly wonderful weekend. DH will take me out to dinner at Outback Steakhouse tomorrow for a late birthday celebration. We never go out the Sunday of my actually birthday week because it always intersects with Mother's Day - equaling crowds, stressed out kitchens and servers. We prefer to not feel rushed, so we'll have my dinner a bit later, but at a more laid-back pace. Yippee!


No comments: