Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Solstice Eve Thoughts - Four Candles

I have a stack of wonderful holiday cards on my desk that are getting taped to my fireplace mantle today. They are from all around the world and they contain colorful, sparkly, and positive thoughts from friends and relatives. I think greeting cards are one of the better parts of the season. Tomorrow is the Solstice - the end of another turn of the wheel and the beginning of the next, As we enter into that day of thought, contemplation, and renewal, I bring to you a poem my friend Iris from Germany included in her holiday card.

I asked her who had written the poem and she said Josef Werner Schmitt in 2010. However, after further research while trying to track this down as a fact, I came up with a lot of different variations, particularly in the final lines of the poem. Nonetheless, I loved it and I pass her version on to all of you on this Solstice Eve.


Candles are used in so many ways - for light, ambiance, on the menorah that
will be lit in many Jewish homes beginning on the 24th, or just to celebrate
festive occasions. I loved the poem about the four candles that my friend
included in her holiday card, and I give you her version below. 



Four candles slowly burned.
The ambiance was so soft, one could almost hear them talking...

The first candle said: "I am Peace! The world is full of anger and fighting.
Nobody can keep me lit."
Then the flame of Peace went out completely.

The second candle said: "I am Faith! I am no longer indispensable.
It doesn't make sense that I stay lit another moment."
Just then a breeze softly blew out Faith's flame.

Sadly the third candle began to speak: "I am Love!
People don't understand my importance so they simply put me aside.
They even forget to love those who are nearest to them."
And waiting no longer, Love's flame went out.

Suddenly...a child entered the room and saw the three unlit candles.
"Why aren't you burning? You're supposed to stay lit 'till the end."
Saying this, the child began to cry.

Then the fourth candle answered: "Don't be afraid, I am Hope!
While I am still burning we can re-light the other candles."
With shining eyes, the child took the candle of hope and lit the other candles.

The Greatest Of These Is Love... but the flame of Hope should never go out of your life!
With Hope, each of us can live with Peace, Faith and Love.

I'm going to ascribe this version to our old friend Anonymous, and wish all of you a wonderful Tuesday. If you are celebrating Christmas or Hanukkah on Sunday, get your last minute shopping done quickly. I hear that clock a'ticking.


No comments: