Thursday, May 26, 2016

Some Contenders

Earlier in the week we looked at some fantastic architecture - the winning design and several others under consideration for the CTBUH Best Tall Building Award. There were too many amazing buildings not to share more with you, so I have four more of my favorites among the 2015 designs that were considered for each region for you to look at today as I listen to thunder outside. It may be a wet drive to the gym this morning. So ... here we go.


This is the Sunrise Kampinski Hotel in Beijing. 

I think, in the runners-up category, this is one of my absolute favorite buildings. This round structure is actually a large hotel that perches upon a terrace sculpted to match the surreal shape. I'm absolutely floored by this building and its amenities and recommend you take a look for yourself at the many photos of it, or just Google for images. What an amazing design.


Torre Virreyes in Mexico City. 


Just look at this great design just hanging in space so high up. The overhanging design is so radical that even in a city of amazing architecture and history, it still stands out. I love the interplay of design on the narrow side and the balance of symmetry on the main facade. It's stunning.



The Leadenhall Building in London is also
known as the "Cheesegrater". 


I had a hard time finding a photo of the Leadenhall Building that managed to cut out the other amazing structures close by. London is booming, and I am in awe every time a new building goes up there because it is a very crowded capital city with an extremely long history of constant occupation. To erect something new means the destruction of something old. Even making the room to erect a skyscraper in the middle of the "downtown" area is rather phenomenal. It's a great building design, too - another plus!



The Al Hilal Bank Tower in Abu Dhabi, UAE. 


Finally,  I present the Al Hilal Bank Tower in Abu Dhabi, UAE. This structure with its offset blocks and hints of brilliant color offers interest and breaks up the monotony of what could have been a more standard straight-sided cube visage. It catches the eye during the day, but also shimmers at night when the inset panels catch shadow and allow for depth.

So there you have it, four other buildings that were under consideration by the CTBUH (Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat) for their 2015 Best Tall Building award. The eight innovative structures I've shown you during the week are just a small portion of the 100+ under consideration, and what I love most is how different and distinct each building is from the others. It makes me happy that innovative architecture is still being designed and built. Now all I have to do is figure out how to make it to Beijing. I want to see that hotel up close and personal. It has a great pool and workout room - LOL. Have a constructive Thursday!


No comments: