Wednesday, September 2, 2015

One More Day and a Book Recommendation

Sharon arrives tomorrow and I'm off today cleaning, shopping, doing laundry, and then more cleaning. Between everything else is a quick trip to the gym for swimming (the pool will be crowded since we're in the midst of a thunderstorm so the outdoor pool won't be available for use), followed by a 6:45 am appointment at the dealer for an oil change for Minion. Today is focus, focus and focus for tomorrow (afternoon) she arrives.


The book is far more than a history. It was
written almost as a biography of the disease and
starts with the earliest histories/mentions through
to current day medical beliefs and procedures. 


I don't give book recommendations often, but have been working down my TBR e-pile and am heads deep in "The Emperor of All Maladies" by Siddhartha Mukherjee. Earlier this year I happened upon a multi-night broadcast of a new Ken Burns TV docu-drama about the history and current theories about cancer which was based on this book. I was enraptured and couldn't turn it off, although DH found it too depressing to watch. When I found out it was based on a book, I immediately purchased the NookBook. Well, I'm reading it now and WOW! It's long, detailed, reads like a top novel, and is totally keeping my interest.


I just finished the section of the book that dealt extensively with Doctor
Sidney Farber. His actions, along with philanthropist Mary Lasker were
instrumental in the passage of the National Cancer Act of 1971. 


Yes, cancer is a horrible disease whose cures are often as bad, sometimes almost worse, than the actual disease itself. But it is a rare person who has not been touched by this disease in some manner or other. I have always found books dealing with medical history to be fascinating and this one is no different. I'm really pleased to be reading it and recommend it highly to all of you as a well-written, entertaining biography about a dread disease that once more is touching my life - a good friend was just diagnosed with prostrate cancer earlier this week.


It's almost a quirk of fate that I should be reading this book when my
friend has just been diagnosed with prostrate cancer (prostrate cancer
cells pictured above). 


As I gather my things and head out to the gym, I wish each of you a wonderful Wednesday. Be safe, be good (but not TOO good) and I'll be back tomorrow with a cleaner house and my BFF arriving on an airplane.


No comments: