Friday, August 1, 2014

Running Late, But I Have A Good Excuse - MUSIC

So I'm running about 15 minutes late to start my blog today, which dictates a shorter, less elaborate missive for the day. Oh...who am I kidding. My daily blog posts are anything BUT a missive. They are just words on a page accompanied by pretty pictures and sometimes the words aren't even there. But back to being late. I'm late - I'm late because I was tied up listening to music.


I can lose myself in great music. I have a very eclectic
musical library and that's OK - it's a good reflection
of my own eclectic tastes in general. 


Well, "That's a good excuse," those of you who love music might say. Others who read my blog might scratch their head and have a perplexed look on their faces. After all - music is listened to, words are read and/or typed. One function uses the eyes and the fingers, the other concentrates on the ears. The two don't meet. ... or do they?


There are many alternative ways for musical notation, things
other than the standard musical staff and lines. These four examples
are by Brian Eno who transcribes sounds of life through
alternative transcription techniques. There's a really interesting,
short article in Smithsonian about several of these avaunt-guard
composition styles and composers. 


First of all I was listening to the first movement of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony - a piece of music as close to divine perfection as I can come up with. But I was also totally pulled in by the video which is usually something I can ignore easily. Why? Just have a look. It's just the first movement, and one person's wonderful ability to interpret the orchestral score in a very different way, but I found it to be totally mesmerizing.


Almost everyone recognizes the opening salvo from Beethoven's Fifth. Here,
Micah Van Der Kamp has translated the score into a wall hanging
made from Legos. 


Music is something that is important to so many of us. I've found fabulous music way outside my normal listening spectrum by recommendations from friends on-line and in my various Live Journal friend groups. My playlist has expanded dramatically over the past few years simply because others were willing to share something they loved with me. I'm sending out a broad "Thank you" to each of you who has mentioned and linked musical excerpts for me to watch. I've enjoyed most of them and have purchased some.


I was completely mesmerized watching the familiar notes move
across the background. I found myself trying to isolate the
cello parts in the graphics and sometimes I was successful. 


Today is the first of August, and I'm pulling into one of my busiest months. Renaissance Festival starts in two weeks and the State Fair starts in three. My friend Sharon will come to visit in four weeks and my house looks like a hurricane hit it (except for the spider webs which are everywhere they shouldn't be *sigh*. I'll be cleaning, writing a bit, cleaning some more, writing more, working, and yes - of course - listening to music.


Stravinski's "Le Sacre Du Printemps" or "Rite of Spring" actually
caused riots in the theatre and the street when it was first
performed. It's gutsy, brawling, and primal. It's been one of
my favorite pieces of music for as long as I can remember. 


For those of you who enjoyed the Beethoven above, here's one more like for you to one of my all-time favorite compositions, Igor Stravinski's "Rite of Spring". In fact, I even own the full orchestral score for this piece, I love it so much. The you-tube animator, smalin, has Part Two animated here, and there is also a full version in this type of animation by musanim here. Enjoy some music today and have a wonderful Friday.


No comments: