Monday, August 4, 2014

If It's Sunday, We Must Sacrifice a Tree

So sorry for the mixed up LJ posts, it was being stubborn on Friday and I didn't realize that my Friday post hadn't appeared until Monday morning. So ... you get a double from me today to clog your in-box. Apologies.


My LJ readers - You get Friday's forgotten post (whirling around the
cyber clouds) and Monday's post today. So sorry! 


We had a fabulous sushi dinner on Saturday night with our friends Mattie and Liz, then went down the street to a coffee and dessert hangout where I had a piece of totally amazing lemon tart and a chai latte. Heaven! We stumbled into bed at 9:30 pm -10:00 pm and I was asleep within moments.


I hadn't gone to Cafe Latte in quite a while, but their pastries and
cakes were just as amazing as I remembered. They've expanded
a lot and it's all to the better. Dinner with our friends was totally
amazing and really fun! 


Sunday was supposed to start with breakfast, but that didn't happen. DH was in a bit of a mood, and decided to continue our habit of late - "If it's Sunday, we must pull down a tree," or as I call it - "Sunday Sacrifice". This time we loaded up Minion and went to the old house. The State Fair starts on the 21st and the house has to be cleaned up and ready for thousands of people to walk in front of. It doesn't do to have a house looking abandoned during Fair time.


Our tree wasn't even as thick as these branches, but sometimes
it seemed like it while we were pulling the cut branches from
the garage roof. The key was missing the wires leading to our
next-door neighbor's cable service. Tricky, that! 


We had a smaller (read younger) tree growing too close to the garage, and wanted to cut limbs from some of the other, larger trees that were draped over the garage roof. Soon the back yard was filled with sawed-off limbs. The small tree had actually grown around the roof flashing, so getting the trunk cut away was more difficult than we thought it would be. It was almost all hand-saw work - my poor DH worked very hard. We chain-sawed the fallen limbs, and the trunk of the small tree, but everything else was hand saw and pull.


Our bundles were quite a bit larger than this, but this
is the best picture I could find. 


Cutting and bundling the branches was hard work, and we ended up with five big bundles and lots of cut lengths of logs. We loaded these into Minion (it took two trips and I'm not all that happy with the scrapes along her interior roof). But we got everything deposited at the county compost pile which, fortunately, is quite near to us. Mowing the lawn finished the tasks for the day and we loaded the tools back and returned home.


I was really in the mood for Bar-B-Que, and I like
Famous Dave's. It's pricey, though, but we'll get two, maybe
even three meals out of it. 


I was in the mood for bar-b-que, so off to Famous Dave's we went for a meal of burnt ends and spareribs. We were both so exhausted, though, that we only ate the burnt ends and some of the sides, then boxed up the rest and took them home. Dinner for tonight (and maybe a bit of Tuesday) has been solved - LOL.


Burnt ends are so good! We each ordered them as an
appetizer, and barely had room left for our actual meals. 


So now it's back to the routine again - work, work, day off, work, work, work, take down a tree. That seems to be the way my life goes, lately - LOL. I did get two stories revealed in the past week and I'll be posting them on my archives on Fairie and AO3 within the next day or so. Have a wonderful Monday and be kind to your trees.


No comments: