Saturday, May 31, 2014

Plots Are Like Ocean Waves

As I write my last blog post for more than a week, I was indecisive about my subject matter. I thought about discussing vacations, travel or road music, and at the end of all of those thought tendrils, I came to a conclusion - plots are like ocean waves, one crashes against the beach and the next one is already poised to repeat the process.


Ocean waves are restless and never-ending. They come in a
variety of shapes and sizes, but the ocean is always in movement. 


OK - where are ocean waves coming into a drive across one state with no ocean in sight or even within 1000 miles of me? I have no idea, but I like the simile. Just think about plot for a small moment of your morning. You have a character or a couple as the centerpiece - the Main Dude. This Main Dude (or Dudette if you prefer) will have a starting point and an ending goal and in the process of the Main Dude working toward the ending, he'll get buffeted by many waves.


Waves (and plots) can crash against cliffs in a spectacular fashion. 


Those waves will be small stumbling blocks, or massive cliff-climbing crashes of water and foam. Somehow your character must persevere in his walk toward the conclusion, pushing through the saltwater and finally reaching a safe haven.


Huegette Clark is a prime example of a person who had everything but
enjoyed none of it. Heir to the Clark copper fortune, she was a deeply
disturbed young girl who grew up secluded from others and died
in a small room with no true friends and houses across the country
that she never visited. Interested in her story? Read "Empty Mansions" to find out more. 


Isn't life rather like that too? There is no such thing as a free ride, there are always bumps in the road. You would think that if you had everything - no fears about housing, food, money, safety or acceptance, you'd be super happy and live life to the fullest. Yet, time after time it seems that those who have everything are really those who have nothing.


Huegette Clark was raised in a huge mansion on Fifth Avenue in
New York City. It was filled with treasures including original paintings
by Rembrandt and more than one Stradivarius violin.
Here's a short article from the NY Times on Huegette Clark. 


So as I leave for a week sharing the wonders of beads and the company of good friends, I'll consider myself lucky. I've worked hard, but I've had a pretty fabulous life so far. There are bumps in my road that I've gone through, and others that are still to come, but we pull through them, and all in all, I'm very lucky.


One of the classes I'm taking will teach this lovely beaded starfish. I'm just
taking it to play and have fun - isn't fun an important thing in life? 


I hope all of you have a fabulous week. I'll be checking into my LJ and email accounts regularly, but I doubt I'll post again until I return from Bead & Button Show. Happy Saturday!



No comments: