Thursday, November 21, 2013

NaNo Flip Days - 51,595 and Still Writing

Well, I succeeded at the 50,000 word count of NaNoWriMo yesterday afternoon, but I'm not finished yet. No, my characters still have another 30,000-50,000 words left in the story, so I'm going to continue on a slightly revised platform. I'm still going to start my mornings out by working on my story. I write better first thing in the morning, without any interruptions or need for conversations. I often dream about the next twist of plot or see my characters actually walking through scenes. But I've missed talking with all of you every day, so I'm going to be less focused on getting my 2000 daily words in every morning before continuing on to other things. I can catch up on more words at the coffee shop later in the morning, or at the shop over my lunch. I have a little bit of breathing space.


Breathing space - no matter the season, we all need space
and time to think clearly and objectively. 


But I also can't allow myself to lose my momentum. I need to get this novel completed because I want to get into the editing process. Last year I allowed myself to kick back after I had my 50,000 and it was a serious mistake. I won't allow myself to do that again. So even though I'll begin working on my Solstice Card designs (and I'll have my first address call-out for that coming up soon) and Thanksgiving is coming up next week, I want to continue wandering history with my characters because I'm loving what they're doing. They are taking unexpected side trips, they are taking FAR longer to travel from point A to point Z then I had ever dreamed, and I'm loving the journey.


Life is a journey, not a destination, so keep moving
along your pathway. 


But I have a second novel that I started last year. I want to work on that one for next year's NaNo, so this one has to be finished and fine tuned before then. I have to edit it within an eyelash-width of  destruction, and I have to 'kill my darlings' as much as I may love a particular phrase, scene or secondary/tertiary character. Editing is a bloody busiiness.


Most words and many characters are expendable and can end up
on the editing/cutting room floor. If you can't kill them, then entomb them
in a personal archive. But get them out of your story. It will be the better for it. 


Finally, when I have knocked it into the best shape I can, I'll need to have someone who actually knows what they're doing edit for me. That's where I'll probably have to spend some money. But if I end up with something potentially worth shopping around and publishing, either on my own or through an agent, it will be well worth it.


A list of things to think about...but then again, is there ever
truly an original thought any more? Really? 


So - NaNo dreams. I have read books by authors who started their books at NaNo. There's no viable reason why I can't join their ranks if the story holds together through the remainder of the writing and through the editing. I'll write, but I'll also rejoin my friends and fellow fan-fiction writers because I've really missed talking with all of you every morning.



November is ending quickly, but why not think about doing NaNoWriMo in 2014?


If you're ever thinking about writing for NaNoWriMo, give it a try. It's a roller coaster of time management and emotional turmoil, and I totally adore the ride. Shout out to those others of my friends writing for NaNo or their own mini-NaNo's this year. Isn't it too much fun?

No comments: