Friday, August 2, 2013

Argh!

DH is starting to feel overwhelmed as he goes through his father's house. When you take a pack rat, add basic sentimentality and an inability to say "yes" when someone wants an item or "no" when it comes to throwing something out, you've got a problem. I've got a problem.


I don't want my house to become a junk house! Throwing things out
can be a very wonderful experience and giving things away is great!


 DH is over at his father's house most days and feels like he's getting nowhere. Last night was one example of what I've dealing with and I feel like I'm pounding my head against a wall again and again and again...

DH - "I think we'll replace the drill press at the shop with my Dad's. C wants the drill press."

Me - "Oh. Ummmm...the drill press at the shop is mine, I bought it and I use it. I'm OK with this if I can check out your Dad's and see how it works and if I can do the same things with it."

DH - "What do you need to know?"

Me - "Well, I need to turn it on, see how smoothly it operates, how it moves, and then I need to pull the shield and see how easy it is to switch the belts to change the ratio and rpm."

DH - "Forget it...just forget it. I'll let C have it."

Me - "No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that if you're going to give away my drill press then I need to make sure that what you're replacing it with will do what I need it to do."

DH - "I just don't want C to have it. They're getting the table saw too. I just think they want it for - well, I can't see them actually using them."

Me - thinking to myself that it doesn't make any difference whether or not they ever use the items. They asked for them, let them have them. We don't need any more junk. "Well, maybe not, but how do you know? They could have a use for them, and it's not your job to make sure that they are using what they get from the estate."

DH - "It's just so hard."

Me - "I know."

And I do know, but now I have a better feel for what I'm butting my head against. We're at a point in our own lives when we should be downsizing and suddenly DH is semi-planning on merging out household with that of his Dad's? No! Absolutely NOT! This will be a problem.... *sigh*

No comments: