Friday, April 12, 2013

Exploring Aspects in 200 words

An on-line acquaintance posted about aspects of her spiritual journey yesterday in groupings of double-drabble (200 word) paragraphs. (Why I am an ___, in 200 words or less). Another on-line friend responded with four aspects of what makes her a unique person whose footprint upon this earth will be imitated by none. I thought I'd take a quick turn and see what I could do with this, interspersed by pictures, of course.


Musician and Music Appreciator –
An adopted child of people from Vienna, music was always a part of my life. No “Rock-a-by Baby” lullabies for me, though. No, the tunes sung and hummed while mother danced with me in her arms were waltzes by Strauss, music by Oppenheimer, and of course some Mozart and Wagner. I grew up listening to rehearsals by symphony and chamber orchestras. I attended operatic performances inspiring me to sing my speech for weeks on end. I sat at a piano keyboard as soon as I could stretch across the keys and when a cello was first placed in my hand and my first note sounded, I knew I had found my anchor. Although I am not actively playing instruments any more for a variety of reasons, music is still important in my life. Classical music is always on in my car, I search YouTube for recommended contemporary music because I rely on the guidance of friends for a broader musical score. And every story I write always has music underpinning the words – even this one. Yes, I consider myself a musician, but more than that, I consider myself a music fan in all of its many forms, shapes and hues.

by Sara Nadeau

Artistic Interpreter –
When I was a young child I discovered that I could express my feelings through the visual arts. It is still my primary form of worship because through the works of my hands, eyes and spirit I celebrate the Powers who direct my life. My greatest happiness is to look at the artistic works of others and then return to my own studio to continue in my own endeavors. As a girl I worked with paints, pastels, pencils and clay. As I grew up I shifted into braiding elaborate braids with leather, embroidering and collage/decoupage. I always wanted to try stone carving but could never find a good studio and tools to use, but I worked with wood and leather, making a variety of items both useful and attractive. My art always was a foundation of my life, but the means of expression changed with my disposable income. For several years now I have been slowly accumulating the tools and equipment I want for the last twenty-thirty years of my artistic life. For the ending of my lifespan, as my body grows colder and less flexible, I’ll be working more with fire and molten glass, metals and color – always color.


Writer, Author, Reader –
If I wasn't born with a book in my hand, I should have been. From the time I was a small child I was raised with a love for books. My father believed strongly in the power of the written word and raised me with Greek Mythology as my bedtime stories. My father always wrote – stories, screenplays, and towards the end of his life, textbooks. My mother always read popular books – nothing earthshaking but she always had a book at her bedside. I had my nose in a book from the time I could read and have always written here and there. Because I despise handwriting anything, I have a trail of discarded journals behind me. The best gift of my youth was a manual typewriter. Suddenly I had a tool for writing and I never looked back. Many disastrous literary adventures and scholarly texts were pounded out on my typewriter, but I never actively sought to write fiction until a few short years ago. Now I am a published author, working on more submissions as well as a novel with another one in the wings. I have a broad group of on-line friends who share this addiction. How wonderful!

I wasn't quite this young when I got my first typewriter, but I wasn't
any older than ten years old. It was one of the best gifts of my life.

Spiritual Believer and Worshiper –
I was raised by parents who were, at best – agnostic, at worst – atheistic. The trauma of being Jewish in Europe during WWII never truly left my parents. It was part of their foundation and the reason why I had few living relatives remaining. Mother turned her back on God believing that any deity who would allow the murder of more than six million of his “chosen” people did not deserve her worship. I can’t say that I disagree. This lack of directed “popular” religious training allowed me to choose my own path. I explored everything – Christianity (several denominations), Judaism, even Buddhism. After many years I met the man I call brother – a full-blood Lakota Sioux and acknowledged spiritual leader. My steps on the Red Road helped finalize my divorce from traditional religions. Although I no longer worship at those altars, they taught me to acknowledge and to recognize the Powers. Today I am proudly Pagan. The Powers are everywhere in this world – they are multifaceted and their strength flows through each moment of life with a pulse that forms the heartbeat of Earth. This rhythm guides my thoughts and steps. It inspires my art and music. It forms my love.

I am so grateful for the life I've been granted and experience joy in each sunrise.

So there you have it – four different 200 word explanations of who I am and why I walk the pathway that I do. For better or for worse, this is me. 

No comments: