Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Celebrations

Although I celebrate Solstice, many of my friends celebrate Christmas or Hannukah. Everyone is entitled to celebrate during this month of joy in whatever method they enjoy, but since Hannukah is over, and Solstice is over, I will wish everyone remaining a Merry Christmas.
I remember Christmases from my childhood and early teen years. I would take the bus to downtown or my little area of more exclusive independent shops on Third Avenue. Then I would start to soak up the season and try and find special gifts for my loved ones. The lights in the wreaths and fir swags festooned with bows, the bells in the hands of the Santas ringing for red bucket donations, the carols coming from the stores and occasional outdoor choral performances, and the skating rink in front of the May D&F downtown store were all parts of my Christmas experience. All of these contributed to my holiday spirit and have found their joy and color expressed in my artwork.

I am very grateful that I have been able to make some wonderful gifts for friends this year, and that I have been able to afford a few gifts for my DH. My family members are all employed, their children are healthy and seem to be happy, and we have a positive outlook for the year ahead. We are very fortunate and I wish good fortune for each and every one of you over the holidays and into the new year. I'm going to take a short break from writing until next week to relax for a few days. So I ask you to celebrate the season with those close to you and look around to see what might influence your personal artwork in the year to come.

No comments: