Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Jealousy or Creativity?

Yesterday, out of the blue, my DH started asking me questions about enameling. Now, my DH has not enameled since his High School days. But every item that I make he criticizes sharply and he doesn't like what I've made up to this point. OK, I'll grant him that his outlook is different than mine. But all of a sudden, he's reading my "Glass on Metal" magazine, looking through my Corrugated Metal book, and thinking about enameling to make what he sees in his own inner eye. So, last night I asked him..."Why are you suddenly so interested in enameling? Do you feel it necessary to do and try to better everything that I do?" He didn't like the questions and stormed up to watch the baseball game at the bedroom TV.
I'm all for his exercising his creativity. In fact, I encourage it. I just don't understand why he feels it necessary to do what I am doing, when he has many things of interest to him that I could care less about. Why does he have to try and prove that he can do things better than me? I have my own vision for my art, and he could do his for 100 years and not truly duplicate it, but he treats his tools, workbench and supplies like trash and I don't want my equipment or supplies misused or not replaced if their quantities have dropped. I have worked with him in the past and it was disasterous. I hope that won't be the case this time.

No comments: