Thursday, October 30, 2008

Goals and Goal Setting

Tonya posted the following today, and this was my response to the primary paragraph:

"What is it that you want to attract into your life? How can you expect to achieve anything if you haven't asked for it. You are a magnet of energy. If you don't know or ask for what you desire how can that energy come back to you?"

My response to the quote above was:
That's the key, isn't it. To be able to focus on a goal and ask for it. But how to do that? You can ask the proverbial aether, or you can ask yourself to step up to the plate and perform for yourself instead of someone or something else. When you do that, you are often perceived as being selfish, self-centered, and a traitor to the corporate or family goals. The key is to walk this tightrope and get to the platform at the end of it. Only one person can stand on that platform - it should be the platform of your personal artistic goals and it should be you standing on that platform.


Catching that Rising Star
I'm often accused of being selfish because I take the time I feel necessary to work on my art instead of spending all of my time, 24/7, thinking about and working with my shop. But I've found, over the years, that my artistic side HAS to be a part of me. So, having my studio days are absolutely essential to me. Yesterday was quite productive. I got a lot of BronzClay formed and drying for the kiln, I painted a lot of copper-conductive paint onto beads and several skulls so that I can start electroforming them next week, I started working on the neckline of my cloak, and I started polishing a wonderfully layered slice of aggregate stone for the front of....something (haven't quite figured that out yet, but ideas are percolating). I just dove right into it when I got home in mid-morning and didn't come up for air until I left for the grocer in the late pm. And I was happy and have a good outlook on my upcoming day.

Oh, and I started working on my E-newsletter for the shop (Stormcloud Trading). I want to send one out every month at a minimum. It's not quite as easy as I had hoped, but I think I'll be happy in the long run. It's going to take some getting used to the software. I really wanted to have it out by the end of the week, but it will probably be next week before I really have it pounded into shape. If you are reading this blog and would like to be included in the address list for my E-newsletter for Stormcloud Trading, feel free to Email me and request to be added to the address list.

No comments: