Friday, May 26, 2023

Recipes, Thoughts and Miscellaneous - My Life in a Nutshell - LOL

As I mentioned in my short post yesterday, I survived the surgery and all is good. In fact, all is great. There are minor issues that I'll deal with as I heal, and I'll have to see what happens in future, but basically, this is wonderful. Colors are brighter, images have greater clarity, and except for a minor bout of astigmatism (which may or may not go away, but can easily be corrected when I get new glasses), I'm totally set for summer. 




I'm getting some double-imagery that my check-up doctor 
yesterday said might be astigmatism. Basically, that's when 
the lens isn't quite round - more football shaped instead. 
It can cause double-vision and blurriness. Some of this 
will disappear as I heal, but some may be permanent. 
Fortunately, it's easily correctable with glasses. 



I'll have my next check-in on the 8th, this time to get a baseline on my vision and arrange for a new prescription. Since I've worn glasses since I was 10, I fully expect to be wearing them again. I've got good distance vision now, the vast blur now has definition, but close-in work - reading or craft work - needs a bit more clarity. I've always been near-sighted, so this is a bit of a variation for me. Right now I'm using a single panel of a tri-focus lens in a set of eyeglasses I used more than a decade ago. That's allowing me to use my phone and read easily. 




This is NOT my feeder, but I am getting hummingbirds 
at my feeder quite regularly now, so I'm quite pleased. 
I saw several yesterday afternoon when I allowed myself 
to relax in the yard for an hour in mid-afternoon. 



I'm back at the shop today and tomorrow, then I'll have two days off for the holiday weekend and Memorial Day. I won't be posting on Monday, except maybe a quick "Honor" post for our veterans and those who sacrificed everything for the sake of our contentious freedom. 




Freedoms seem to be shrinking lately, and it's very 
concerning to me. I don't conform well - never have. I've 
always been the non-conformist, that voice speaking out 
for personal freedom of choice. I'm becoming quite 
uncomfortable in the world we seem to be moving toward. 



Of course those freedoms. so hard won, seem to be shrinking lately. Issues I thought were long handled are popping up again, and personal freedoms are being curtailed. I'm quite glad, in this instance, that I'm old - I'm looking at no more than three decades of idiocy. I am finding it hard to believe that we, the generation of Peace, Love and Rock-and-Roll have turned out backs on our ideals and embraced the confines of our parent's society. We rebelled against everything they believed in, and here we are, slipping into the ruts in the road that they left for us. 




I think my baked mango turned out quite good. Not 
as good as their photo, but still not bad. If you're 
interested in the recipe, you can find it here: 
https://www.kitchenathoskins.com/baked-mangoes/






I spent a pleasant hour in the kitchen yesterday, making some Mango Crumble. It's basically cut mango baked with a covering of crushed nuts, shredded coconut, oats, and honey. I had two mangoes that I wanted to use up, so I played with a new recipe and it was quite lovely. I made several larger slices and with the smaller pieces, used ramekins to put in the mango, covered with the toppings. All of them turned out to be really tasty. I'm bringing one ramekin to the shop for Chickie's lunchtime treat today. The next thing I want to try is a flourless almond cake using almond flour. Maybe next week. 




I want to try this almond cake recipe next. 
It looks amazing, and I think it will fit in 
well with my WildFit life. If you're 
interested in this recipe, here's a link 
for you: 
https://www.dishbydish.net/flourless-almond-cake/



So, I'm wrapping this up. The outdoor pool opens tomorrow, but I can't swim until late next week. Still, I know it's there and I'm already looking forward to it (even though the outdoor pool is more crowded than our indoor one - everyone comes from throughout the Cities to swim in our pool in the summer). I'll have my opportunity, and I'll do my best to take full advantage of it until Labor Day. Have an excellent Friday and I'll be back tomorrow. Slava Ukraini. 




No comments: