Wednesday, April 19, 2023

No Snow, Road Construction, and Flooding Along the Mississippi River

Good morning one and all. Today is the first day for yard waste pickup for the year and our bucket is full. DH was supposed to take it to the curb, and I'm quite sure he forgot, so I'll end up having to do that when I get home from the swimming pool later this morning and have a bit of light. Right now, the bucket is sitting in the middle of our patio on the lower level - not anywhere close to the street. I can, however, get the trash bucket to the curb as I leave for the gym, however, so that's one job done. 




We have a yard waste bucket that's the same dimension 
as our standard trash bucket, and slightly larger than 
our recycling bucket. On my alternate Wednesdays when 
I have all of my pickups, I have three large 
bins lining the end of my driveway. 



It's no longer snowing here in the Frozen Northlands, but it's thawing, so we're getting our flooding here and there. The Mississippi will crest over the weekend, about 18 feet higher than normal, but not at a record high, so hopefully those living downstream through the rest of the nation won't have too bad a time of it. 




We're expected to still rise another four feet before reaching 
the crest for our Mississippi River flooding this year. We 
won't be at record highs (which is a good thing), but it's still 
a substantial amount of water we're sending downstream 
towards New Orleans. 



The other part of no snow, of course, is road construction. The dreaded orange cones went up this week on the road that fronts my YMCA. Once again we'll be dealing with changed routes, blocked roadways and detours from Point A to Point B - sometimes pulling us through much of the rest of the alphabet just to get to that straight line. *sigh*. I don't have any problem getting TO the gym, but getting home FROM the gym is interesting. Yesterday's route experiment didn't turn out well, so I'm trying a different direction today. I need to to southwest from the gym to get home, but I'll go east before heading south today. West brought me WAY out of my way because the freeway blocked my passage. *sigh*




This photo of the Mississippi River flooding is from farther 
south, closer to Mankato, Minnesota, home of the Mayo Clinic. 
As you can tell from the street signs, there's some 
flooding going on here too. 



But, I'm determined to get my swim in. It's super important for me. It's my "day off" also, and I'll be heading here and there despite the dreaded Orange Cones of Detour. I have things to do and places to be before chatting with Aearwen close to the end of my day. I hope all of you have a wonderful day and that you have minimal detours in your roads and goals. I'll be back tomorrow. Slava Ukraini. 




No comments: