Thursday, January 6, 2022

It's Damned Cold Out - Shoveling Yesterday Was A Cold Experience

I ended up shoveling snow off the driveway and walks three times yesterday. I left the plow scree for DH, if he wants to deal with it today, he's welcome to it. The snow itself wasn't bad - I don't think we got much more than 3-4 inches total over the full day. It was the wind that was horrid - the wind was cold and the windchill is what will make a serious impact. I had on my hat and gloves, my parka and various sweaters, of course (as well as good snow boots), but my hands still got super cold despite the gloves. Over the years I've tried many different gloves, and I've still to find the perfect set. The hunt continues. 




It might be time to look for a new pair of cold-weather 
mittens. I haven't had a set of mittens for a long time - 
I need to use fingers with my phone. But mittens are 
a LOT warmer than gloves, in general, and I've tried 
a lot of gloves with hope, but no success. 



I was as energetic as I could be, but enough was enough. When I shoveled the last time around 3:30 pm before my weekly chat with Aearwen, I was pretty determined that it would be my last time of the day. It was a bit of a relief to come in from the cold and have sheets to fold, straight from that lovely, warm clothes dryer - LOL. 




There's something wonderful about pulling bed sheets out 
of the dryer. They're so nice and toasty warm, newly 
cleaned, and smelling fresh. It's a total win/win, even if 
folding them properly can sometimes be a bit of a PITA. 



It was wonderful to catch up with Aearwen. We missed our usual call last week because of the holidays and my altered work schedule, so we had two weeks of news and chit-chat to catch up on. We never seem to have a problem finding things to talk about, and it's always a joy to touch base with a dear friend. 




On my walk towards Petra, I have now passed through 
Wadi Malaga on my way to Ras-Al-Feid. I've currently 
walked/swam 41% of my journey towards Petra. I 
allocated 70 days for the journey when I signed up, 
but I'll arrive long before then. I had no idea 
how quickly my day-to-day steps would (or would 
not) help me toward my goal. It's a lot of fun, and 
I can hardly wait for the next postcard and stop 
along the trail. 



Today, as I continue on my walk to Petra - LOL, I'm going to bundle up. It's only -2 F degrees outside, but our wind chill today is -20 F. That's cold, people, and I'm not a fan of being cold. I don't like the major heat and humidity of our summer months, but I truly hate the cold. Winter is a beautiful season, and I have all of the appropriate clothing necessary for the season, but I'd rather be looking at how beautiful it is from the warmth of my home - LOL. Hopefully Saturday will be warm enough for DH to pull the snow from the roof. He's certainly not going to be doing it today. 




I have my hood attached to my parka, my long scarf at hand, 
several different gloves to choose between, and of course, 
my snow boots. I'm set for the cold. My poor car will have 
to be parked outdoors for 11 hours while I'm at work, and 
Minion won't be happy about that. But, she's a trooper, and 
she'll manage. I'm quite sure she'll be happy when we can 
leave Winter behind us in a few months, but there's still 
a lot of winter left to live through before Spring. 



So, wherever you're at, please stay warm or at least, stay comfortable. Stay safe too, that's always a really good idea - LOL. I'm going to catch up on some computer work and then, in another couple of hours, I'll bundle up and head out to the shop. Have a lovely Thursday and I'll be back tomorrow before I head over to the pool for my Friday swim. Hugs to all! 




No comments: