Monday, January 18, 2021

His Words Were, "I Have a Dream" - I Also Have a Dream

Happy Martin Luther King Day to all of you in the USA, and Happy Monday to my friends in other nations. It's Monday, we can't escape that, but all in all, it seems to come around every seven days, rain or shine, and we live through thousands of Mondays in an average lifespan. I've lived through more than 3300 Mondays in my lifetime and I plan on experiencing many more before I pass onward to the next adventure. 




The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King was not well liked in 
the USA while he was alive, but after he was assassinated, 
his words began circulating and his speeches became 
better and better known. He is an example of someone who 
became more famous and more powerful after death than 
before. In many ways, that's a shame. But at least we 
had the chance to discover the greatness of the man 
in the fullness of time. 



Sunday was as close to a perfect day as I've had in a long time. DH was occupied playing "Lord of the Rings Online" in the morning with the hockey game (Pittsburgh Penguins v Washington Capitals - Pittsburgh won in a Shoot Out) on in the background, then he switched the TV over to football. I, on the other hand, took advantage of a few empty hours, set up my knitting machine and knitted the front of my sweater, with a shaped neckline (I was quite proud of myself). I then put the machine away until Wednesday when I will tackle the sleeves. 




DH is delighted that ice hockey is back on TV again. I've 
missed it too. The format is different - less travel, back-to-back 
games, divisional teams only. I've added the Minnesota Wild 
and the Colorado Avalanche schedules to the calendar in 
my phone. It'll be REALLY easy those times when the two 
teams play each other - LOL. 



We both settled down and watched the two football playoff games - not always agreeing on which team to cheer for, but agreeing that both games were good ones. Next week will be the Divisional Playoffs, and then, in early February, the Super Bowl. Despite the Pandemic, we still managed to get a football season in - truncated and with sparse attendance, but a good season all the same. Now, with ice hockey starting up again, life seems to have made small steps back into the sunlight after months cowering in the shadows. 




As we get closer to Wednesday's Inauguration Day, 
Washington DC prepares for the worst and hopes for 
the best. So far, despite serious preparation and defensive 
strategies, protests at my own state capitol have been 
minimal. I really hope the nation can move on from the 
past four years and provide a bright future once again. 



This week will be the inauguration of Joe Biden as President. Turning this country away from hatred and divisiveness and towards kindness and shared goals will be incredibly difficult, but I'm impressed with him so far. He talks well. Now if he walks his talk, we might have a chance. I'm hopeful, at any rate, and I haven't felt hopeful with politics for several years. Maybe the revolving door that has been the rule of law in Washington DC for the past four years might finally stand still - open for viewing by all, and showing a staff committed to the People and determined to right the great wrongs of the carpetbaggers who have been in Washington DC for the past four years. 


On that note, and on this day celebrating a great man whose legacy lives on, I'm signing off. Have a wonderful Monday and I'll be back tomorrow, and please ... be kind, stay safe and wear your mask. 




No comments: