Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Thank You - It's Inadequate But It's All I've Got

I'm wishing a safe Veterans Day to all of my readers. I never wanted to be a part of war, to live through one or experience one in any way, still, my life seems to have been filled with conflicts near and far. I'm slightly too young for the Korean War (or "Conflict" as some call it - if people are killing each other in uniforms from different nations, it's a war). Vietnam was a large part of my youth - watching it on the nightly news as we ate dinner, protesting it in High School and College, and celebrating with so many other people when Nixon resigned, hoping that it would mean an end to the war. 




Nixon resigned on August 8th, 1974. I was working at 
an archaeological field school in New Mexico for the 
summer. When his resignation speech came over the radio, 
everyone gathered at the cook tent to hear his speech, and 
we all broke out in cheers afterward. I was in college at 
that time, still working for my BA. It was a time of hope. 



After Vietnam came the shorter wars in the hot places - the Gulf War, Afghanistan and Iraq. Do you want to be appalled or depressed? Just Google "List of wars involving the United States" and suddenly the fact that the Defense budget is the largest single expense of our nation becomes quite clear. We might talk about peace, but we don't seem able to actually walk that talk without holding a weapon. Depressing doesn't even come close - disgusted might be closer to my feelings. 




Our Defense Budget is huge, but we're not at the top 
of the heap. Russia spends more than we do, and 
the Middle East is scary! 



But whatever my feelings, it doesn't change the fact that millions of young men and women have put their lives on the line for others while wearing a uniform from the USA, and I'm proud of all of them. It's not easy to be in the military - for anyone in any nation. It's a rather thankless job, long hours and poor pay, and you're flung into situations where you may not survive. It doesn't come under the heading of my job preference, but thank goodness someone is brave enough to step up. 




It's a day to remember those who serve - those who are 
active, those who have moved on to other jobs, and those 
who never came home. Praise Them With Great Praise. 



So "Thank You" to all of you who have served or who have had a family member or loved one who has served. I know that "Thank You" isn't adequate, but it's all I have. 


Stay safe, be well, and please wear your mask. I'll be back tomorrow. 




No comments: