Saturday, September 19, 2020

Le Tour, the Woodshed and Ruth Bader Ginsberg

Le Tour de France for 2020 wraps up this weekend with a personal time trial on Saturday and the ride into Paris with the final sprint to victory on Sunday. I haven't watched as intensely this year, but what I've caught has been excellent and the intense COVID preparations have all worked out. The crowds have been smaller, but the spectators were still there to cheer on the riders, and the commentators, although distanced, were excellent - clicking on all cylinders. I'm quite pleased with this year's Tour and am delighted for Slovenia who, with only two riders in the Tour this year, managed to put on a splendid show. I'm sure that small country has been glued to their media during the Tour. 




Saturday's stage of Le Tour de France is an individual 
time trial with a steep run up to the finish line. Here's where 
a Tour can be lost. Time trials rarely determine the 
winner of a Tour, but a fall or a bad ride can certainly 
determine a loser. 




On Sunday the Tour wraps up with the traditional 
ride into Paris and sprint race around the Champ-
Elysees. I'm not sure if I'll be watching, I might be 
helping DH move wood into the shed instead, but 
I'm amazed and delighted that the Tour managed to 
be run this year of COVID. The changes worked 
and the riders and spectators were kept as safe 
as possible. Well done to all! 



The woodshed is almost 100% completed now. DH finished putting the side boards on yesterday and after he puts a couple of back braces on today, he can start moving the wood over from the garden (where it's been stacked for more than a decade) over to its' new home. I'll probably be pulled into helping him on Sunday, but hopefully he can get a lot of it done today. 




The woodshed is 99% completed now. He wants to 
put a 2x4 back brace behind each of the two end 
sections to strengthen them, and then the wood can 
start getting moved from the piles into the shed. 



Just to remind you of why he built the woodshed, the 
entire back of the castle walls are stacks of cut wood 
from trees we've pulled down over the years on our 
property. It's our hope that we'll actually be able to 
get our chimneys checked out, re-flashed and get 
chimney covers, and then have fires in our 
fireplace in the den once again. We've certainly 
got the wood for it. 



We decided to celebrate our wedding anniversary on Sunday and DH left the menu up to me. He bought the food yesterday and is already complaining about my menu choices. What did I choose? I wanted ribs that I could cook in the crock pot (easy, minimal fuss), Au Gratin potatoes - the kind you bake in a casserole dish in the oven and cole slaw from our grocery store's deli. He grumped that he would have preferred corn and mashed potatoes, but I wanted something that was lower carb. I'm quite happy with my choices and I'm looking forward to my meal. 




I wear my Ruth Bader Ginsberg shirt often, and I'm wearing 
it today in tribute of a great woman who was strong and 
took no nonsense. Her presence on the Supreme Court 
will be sorely missed. 



Of course I can't end without saying how very sad I am at the passing of a great woman - Ruth Bader Ginsberg. RBG was an inspiration for so many, a steady voice for civil rights and the rights of the individual on the Supreme Court. Now we have to hope that filling her place won't be done by the current President because that could be frightening. Cross your fingers - we need the position filled, but not until the elections have been held and the after-election fights have ended. 


On that note, I'm out of here. Have an excellent Saturday and enjoy your weekend. I'll be back on Monday - at least, that's the plan. Be safe, stay well and please, wear a mask. 





No comments: