Saturday, June 15, 2019

Life Goes On

It's finally Saturday and DH is hoping for a good rain while we have daylight so that he can check the changes he's made to our side yard drainage. Normally I'm not a big fan of a hard rain, but if it makes him happy, I guess I'll wish for that alongside him. But the best thing about Saturday is that Sunday will follow and I'll get one day of more sleep and have a bit of time to work on home projects - extremely necessary. 




I normally am not a fan of a hard rain, but we need to see how the
new drainage we've constructed will work in those conditions.
Guess I'm hoping for Saturday rain. 



Did I tell you that our snapping turtle returned again? This time instead of digging her nest in the middle of the side yard, she moved closer to the fencing and dug it between the shed and the concrete platforms where DH will be building the woodshed later this summer. Fortunately she picked the side he won't work on until next year, but it's still pretty close. No choices here, we're under a construction schedule and need to move the chopped wood to the new shed before winter resumes. We didn't have any baby turtles from last year's nest, but hopefully we'll get some from this year's. 




We're hoping for some baby snapping turtles this year. Last year's
next never hatched, or she never actually laid eggs in it. 



So as we nurture potential baby turtles, we're busy fencing and blocking what we can from the rabbits. The bunnies have been going a bit crazy on some of our flowers - crazy equating to the bunnies planting a neon sign saying "DINER" and 'GREAT EATS HERE". We're losing ornamental flowers and lilys and it's really frustrating to watch something grow, then lose it to the rabbits before they bloom. The fencing does seem to be helping, though. A green-colored fine mesh that's three feet tall seems to be discouraging them on one side, a simple barrier at the steps where they would enter seems to be blocking them across from the fence. So far! 




I don't think DH buried the bottom of the fencing, but so far it seems
to be keeping the bunnies away. On the other side we just moved
some top soil bags and our mole trap to the top of the castle wall.
Apparently the bunny barrier needs to be two feet high so blocking
them from the lower steps might do the trick and save my lilys. 



We've been cleaning like crazy people at the shop and I tackled the top of the print drawer unit. It's almost been an interesting archaeological dig as I approach the bottom of some of the stacks. It tends to be the collection point for everything I start and get interrupted while doing, so things stack up in increments - spurts and stalls for everything. By the time I reached the wooden top, I was seeing documents here and there from 2012! That's rather ridiculous and somewhat embarrassing. But it's starting to look pretty darned good now. LOL




I've dug many an archaeological test pit while still
working in the field. It's odd to be doing "urban
archaeology" on my secondary desk top - LOL. 



On that note, I'm calling this done - finding photos to plug in and starting my day. I got up early so that I could catch up with some of my LJ and DW posts and comments, so I'm going to switch over to interactive in a few minutes. Have a great weekend and I'll be back on Monday. 



No comments: