Monday, December 10, 2018

The Broken Earth Series - Buy It, Read It

The majority of the time, my choice in reading material is romance literature. Not really "bodice rippers", as they used to be termed in my youth, but stories of people who find their one and only and get their 'Happily Ever After' (HEA) by the end of the book. I like happy endings and need some romance in my life. DH is NOT a romantic guy ... oh well. I've never been much for thriller/adventure genre books - no Jason Bourne for me - and I'm not fond of the Western genre even though I grew up in the Western USA. No - I want the violins, the red roses, and the meshing of personalities. 



Book One of the trilogy - "The Fifth Season" introduces
the reader to an earth that is familiar, yet unfamiliar
in so many ways. The plots twist and wind, and the
characters are rich and deep, and fallible. 



Before I started reading romance lit over the past few years, I spent decades reading science fiction. I hadn't read Sci-Fi or alternative world books for quite a few years, but came back to it with a series that I'm recommending to all of you, even though I'm still in Book 2 of the three-book trilogy. Turn your eyes towards and start reading the Broken Earth series by N.K. Jemisin. In 2016, the first novel in the trilogy, "The Fifth Season" won the Hugo for best novel, making Ms Jemisin the first black novelist to win the award. This was followed by the Hugo Win in 2017 for "The Obelisk Gate", the second book in the series, and in 2018, the Hugo Win for "The Stone Sky", the final novel of the series. 



Book Two, "The Obelisk Gate" is what I'm in the
middle of reading now. I'm totally hooked within
this plot, though. This volume is half-finished
and I can't wait to see where she goes with the
third volume. 



So - three books, three Hugo award winners for best novel of the year, and one extraordinary author whose world-building skills are amazing and unique. The books themselves take place in Earth in the far future long after our own civilizations have come and gone. I can't express it as well as others, so I recommend you check out the article here because it explains things so much better than I can with minimal spoilers. I can only point out how extraordinary it is to have an author - any author - win three Hugo Awards in a row. The last time the prestigious award was awarded to the same person in contiguous years was to Orson Scott Card for "Ender's Game" and in the following year for his sequel, "Speaker For the Dead". 



The third book, "The Stone Sky" was what really
cemented it in the "I must read these" category. Having
ANY author win the Hugo for three years running
for a single series was unprecedented. 



It's the holiday season and we're all gathering our wish lists together for the various Santas in our lives. You might want to consider adding the Broken Earth Trilogy to your list, I don't think you'll regret it at all. I'll return to my romance literature after this series, I'm working down a very extensive list of TBR, but the earth of N.K. Jemisin will remain with me for a long time to come. I know it's available in boxed sets in physical copies, but also that it's available in e-formats of various kinds. Buy it - read it - or put your name on the list and borrow it from your local library or e-library. It's an amazing trilogy. 

I'm off to the pool, have to swim off some of the excellent pizza DH and I had last night. Gotta love those BOGO coupons to our favorite pizzeria, but the calories can be intense. Have a wonderful Monday and start to your week, and I'll be back tomorrow. Happy Day to You!!! 


No comments: