Tuesday, October 30, 2018

What Makes A Good Haunted House?

Once again, Chickie is taking a vacation day. This is Day 3 of 5, the 4th to be taken on Thursday. DH is calling this week "Hell Week" since he has to work four days. I guess that's understandable since he usually gets away with working two. Poor baby! ... NOT! 



Starring Claire Bloom and Julie Harris, "The Haunting"
kept me breathless and shivering. I loved the book and
I loved the original 1963 B/W movie. The remake
of 1999 was pretty awful. I've heard good things
about the modern Netflix series, but haven't seen it. 



I loved your varied responses to yesterday's post about horror movies. I totally agree with my friend who put the original "The Haunting of Hill House" at the top of her pile. That movie frightened me for days on end and I found it totally addicting and still watch the original when I can. I actually consider it more of a suspense movie than a horror film, but totally agree nonetheless - it's damned scary and so very well acted. I have read the book many times, but the remake of the movie was a total disappointment. They just didn't understand that slow build-up of suspense.



Does anyone else remember "Rose Red"? That
amazing house was the star of the show, but it
was mesmerizing. In the days of TV mini-series,
before the large range of channels currently
available, "Rose Red" was the conversation
around the office water cooler. 



"The Haunting", (which I believe was the movie title with the book adding the "...of Hill House"), had a fabulous copycat in 2002 called "Rose Red". Does anyone else remember this one? It was written by Stephen King and took place in a fictitious town in Washington state. A purportedly haunted house being investigated by a university doctor and a team of psychics. I loved the investigators, but more than anything, I loved that house. It was 'edge of your seat' scary and reminded me a lot of Hill House in that the house was very much a character and the star of the show. 



Those hollow bangs moving down the hallway in "The Haunting", and
Julie Harris' question of "...then whose hand was I holding?" along with
the doors creaking and trying to bend open, and the small whispers
seeking entry made for a winning haunted house movie. Even
on Top Ten Haunted House films lists, "The Haunting" comes in at
number one! 



I guess I just enjoy that slow build-up and when buildings themselves have presence and 'life?'. It's one reason why I enjoy "The Shining" so much, although I do class that as horror without reservation. Having old buildings contain soul - positive or malevolent - isn't a new trope. It's an established angle to horror and ghost stories for a long, long time. Probably before there were homes to be haunted, there were caves, and certainly there were haunted springs and waterways. But that's a different focus - that brings us back to Jason and Crystal Lake. 

Geez - for someone who really doesn't like horror films, I've managed to do two posts in a row with horror/suspense viewings as a focus. I guess, even though I may peek through my fingers, I actually enjoy the occasional fright. Have an excellent Tuesday, I'll return tomorrow. 




No comments: