Monday, October 1, 2018

The Cold Has Started - We Retreated Indoors

So I have about 15 minutes to pull today's post out of my head and onto the screen. I'm operating in super-fast mode because I totally ignored all emails and notifications yesterday. It was Sunday, it was the final day of this year's Renaissance Festival, and it was a day of football (on my part) and the Ryder Cup (on DH's part) for open periods. 



It was cold on Sunday - cold and cloudy. The crowds were down, although
I still ran into people I know out there. I was bundled up in my warmest
gear - even wore gloves. DH shrugged off the cold and regretted his macho
attitude once he was immersed in it. Silly boy! 



First, the Renaissance Festival. I wasn't fond of the idea of attending - it was going to be COLD. At the State Fair, if it's a cold day, you can always pop into a building. They might not be heated, but the numbers of people make them warm and the walls are firm and keep out the wind. At Ren, it's not that easy. There aren't general large buildings and the smaller buildings are pretty open - the walls aren't sturdy and wind-proof and there is absolutely NO heat (unless you're working in the general kitchens in the food aisles). It started out at 46 F and the temp rose to a startling 52 F. 

I dressed accordingly, in my cold weather gear with my heavy-weight cloak and an extra shirt. DH shrugged off the cold, but regretted it. We were out of there by 12:30 pm - an unusually quick visit, especially on last day. I hadn't planned to close Fest down this year, I hate the traffic getting out of the grounds, but usually we would have stayed until 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm. Not this year. We returned home and warmed up. 



Congratulations to Europe for their win at the Ryder Cup. The game was
held outside Paris this time, and will be in Wisconsin in the USA
in two years. The US was playing flat - just didn't have a spark. The
EU players really pulled out some great shots and well deserved the win. 



DH wanted to watch the full rebroadcast of the Ryder Cup (that's golf for those of you who may not know what a Ryder Cup is), but that wasn't due to start until 7:00 pm, so we turned on football, ate Chinese food for dinner, and watched one episode of Midsommer Murders before I left him to his golf and returned to football on a different television. 




I enjoy watching golf, but the Ryder Cup format is different than
a normal tournament. It's interesting, but also a bit confusing. Still,
it was nice to see the golf, and the course, outside of Paris, seemed
very nice and well maintained. 



So Sunday was rather kicked-back, and I'm happy for it. It's the end of our summer now, and we're fully kicked into the autumn. The trees on the way to and from Fest would have been quite lovely, if the sun had been shining. With the cloud cover, the colors were drab. That will change. Peak leaf color here in the cities is usually around the 11th of October, so we're still heading towards it. 

Now to bundle up and get back to the pool. Our old lifeguard, Rachel, had her baby on Thursday - a little baby boy. I'm sure the locker room will be buzzing with that news. A new life to celebrate - it's always a wonderful thing. Have a great Monday and I'll be back tomorrow. 




No comments: