Friday, August 17, 2018

Dragon Gets a Frame and a Stubbed Toe Brings a Memory

I've finally had a chance to catch up on a few personal projects, and wanted to share this one with all of you, since you were in at the beginning. In May, my friend Claire (Chickie Mom) gave me a wonderful birthday card featuring a quilled dragon. I know I featured it on my blog because I thought it was so beautiful. Shortly afterward I purchased the components to frame it and started that process, but I needed one more thing from my craft room and it was down a few boxes in one bin a bit harder to get to. 



The brightness of contrast between the blue and the
green doesn't come through quite as well in the photo,
but he looks really spectacular. I was trying to
avoid reflections in the glass, so it's not the best
photo. 



I finally brought that final component over to the shop and also had a bit of free time, so yesterday morning I finished framing my Quilled Sea Dragon. I think it turned out great. I'll be hanging it onto the wall to join a small collection of other precious items and framed artworks within the next week, but it's sitting at floor level next to my computer chair for a few days. That's rather nice too, because I can just glance over and see him preening proudly. So beautiful! 



You can see his colors much better in the original
photo when I first posted about him. He's made
with quilled paper, rather unique. I'm looking
forward to getting him up on my wall. 



I'm starting to get psyched for the beginning of Renaissance Festival on Sunday. I still have to make sure I have my clothes ready to go, as well as my belt and assorted pouches. It is no fun to be scrambling for those things at the last minute. I purchased a set of 2-for-1 tickets for Chickie and Sharon to use over Labor Day. This year they're doing things a bit differently - they have to bring the receipt to will-call to get the tickets. I'll have to make sure I print that out within the next day or two. I don't want to forget to bring it along with us. 



Mom had a very fancy Mother-of-pearl inlaid accordion
similar to this one which was kept in its case in the
hall closet. It was very heavy, and quite beautiful.
I looked for it after she died, to make sure I hadn't
overlooked it, but it wasn't in the house. She probably
sold it - she tended to not hang onto things that
weren't in active use. 



Today's post is short and sweet - not a lot to say. It's been hot - VERY, and I managed to stub my toe on the edge of the couch shortly after 1:00 am this morning. It still hurts. I can't believe I was such a klutz! I remember my Mom wandering around the house using a cane for weeks when she broke her toe. Of course, it was a bit more than a stubbed toe - her accordion (yes, she had a beautiful accordion) in it's case was in the closet and she stubbed her big toe on it hard enough to break the toe. Ouch! At least my toe is just bruised, not broken. 

Happy Friday to all. I'm looking forward to wrapping this week up. At least the weather has been fabulous - nice and warm. Difficult for sleeping, but absolutely 100% perfect for swimming in the outdoor pool in the mornings. So, I'm off to do just that and I'll be back tomorrow. 


No comments: