Thursday, August 2, 2018

An Accomplished Wednesday Despite the Licensing Center

Wednesday was a crazy busy day, but I actually managed to get everything completed, including getting new tab stickers for the next year for DH's car. That's actually a bit more major than you might think. For most of my life, getting new tabs has involved driving to the closest Licensing office of whatever city or county I am in, standing in a short line, and getting in and out within 15-20 minutes. It's not that way in the Frozen Northlands any more and that's created some serious lines and issues. 



The Licensing Center looks pretty tame, doesn't it? But it's a
super busy place. In fact, they just received approval from the
City Council to expand with new building on the grassy pod
to the right. That will double the size of the place. 



The majority of people in the USA haven't had much of an issue changing over from their standard driver's licence to what's called the "enhanced" version. This new style of license allows for airline transportation and identification, and streamlines transportation outside of the USA. It's a security thing *sigh*. My state is one of a few who have had issues instituting the "enhanced" driver's license. It's a software thing and a privacy and identity thing and it's a total mess. 

You would think it would be easy. The basic information is already in the system, all that's required is some software changes and expansions. You wouldn't believe the amount of fighting between the state government and the federal government over the issue of producing driver's licenses that are required for airline transportation. (Check out the article from 2017 here.) The software itself has been an open bucket for millions of state dollars, has caused the firing or replacement of several top level people directly associated with the development of the id, and has created super-long lines at the Licensing Centers because they are using antiquated software instead of more streamlined procedures. 



Since the middle of last year, the lines have been
massive to get new driver's licenses, change auto
registrations and titles, and get new annual tabs
for cars. Waits of up to two hours have been
reported. Not fun! 



I knew that I had to be at the door when they opened at 8:00 am to get in and out quickly. I pulled into the already-full parking lot at 7:45 am and found everyone sitting in their cars waiting for who knows what. I'm used to standing outside doors - I do it every morning at my gym. I got out, started waiting in front of the door, and when the door was unlocked 15 minutes later, I was the first one in, and the line was stretched out behind me with more than 50 people waiting their turns. 

Our new "enhanced" driver's licenses should be available in October. I'm not looking forward to trying to get one. (Additional information in this short article here.) Apparently I'll have to provide my Social Security card (which is probably somewhere in a drawer) and two items proving residency in my home. I've lived in my home since the 1980's, I wonder what they'll consider valid proof. Maybe I should bring them a baby snapping turtle ... 

Hmmm - have a great Thursday. I'm going to plug in some photos and some links for you to check out if you're interested in our small 'tornado in a glass' issue with ID's, and then head out to the pool. I'm really looking forward to my swim. I'm listening to "Wolfsong" while swimming, and reading "Ravensong" on my phone app, and since I adore TJ Klune's writing, I'm a VERY happy person right now. 




No comments: