Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Birthday Food Gifts - They're Coming From All Over!

Why is the primary reward or promotion item almost always food? I'm asking this because my email in-box is filled with a variety of offers from companies whose mailing lists I'm on. I get a free dessert from my local Italian restaurant. I get a free gourmet cupcake from my local grocer (this one I'm absolutely getting - their gourmet cupcakes are SO good). I get a free bagel with cream cheese from my local bagel shop, etc ... etc ... etc. While I'm working my way and culling through the many food offers in my in-box this week, DH is trying to determine if he can make me a cherry upside-down cake. He's complaining about the cost of the cherries, which are - admittedly - not in season. Hmmm - who knew that such a silly thing like adding another digit on my age would cause so much angst and so many calories? 



I had one of these in my email this morning. I love
their bagels. It's good for a week, so I'll probably
try to remember to take advantage one day this
week. Bad for the hips, but a wonderful treat. 



On my part, I feel sluggish. I'm struggling to get back into my own groove. I'm at the pool every day because that's what I do. I swim my mile, and I'm getting a good workout with it - I'm not backing off. But yesterday's swim was a real struggle and it will continue to be difficult while I try to lose the next five pounds. Having food offers tossed at me this week isn't helping my "get those five pounds of winter off NOW" reality. It's Spring and I want to be back to a reasonable Spring/Summer weight within one month before I leave town to attend the Bead & Button Show. 



My local grocer has absolutely fabulous gourmet cupcakes and
they are giving me a free one! I'll have to remember to cash that
in for sure! It's a wonderful treat. 



It's not so much that I want/need to have the weight off, it's the reality that I'll be super busy, won't get a chance to swim at all, and will barely have time/energy to hit the elliptical in the hotel gym. I know I always gain when I'm on an "out-of-town and away from my usual schedule" trip. I try to watch what I eat and keep my activity levels up, but it's extremely difficult when you're on vacation. 



These aren't precisely what DH made for his "Everything Bar", but
it's close. His are melt-in-your-mouth good, and he cuts them
into HUGE pieces. I always try to grab the smallest piece I can,
but they're too good to turn down. *sigh* I'm doomed! 



It's not impossible to get back to where I was six weeks ago. But birthday food isn't going to help. DH has been making these amazing dessert bars every week or so too. I swear - they're 1000 calories each! But they're SO good. Somewhere in here is a balance. Id better find that balance soon! 



Olive Garden is offering me a free piece of dessert
cake for my birthday. Of course, that means I would
have to eat a meal there first. I think DH is going to
throw steaks on the grill instead, so I'll miss this
birthday gift. That's fine though. I'm sure it's delicious
but those are calories I really don't need. 



On that note, I'm out of here and off to swim. I hope your Tuesday is glorious and happy. I'll be delighted if I can get my Cinco de Mayo weight back off by tomorrow morning. That's an achievable goal. *Hugs*


No comments: