Monday, February 26, 2018

Sunday Was A Snow Day

DH and I spent most of the day on Sunday clearing snow. We had received more than eight inches in about five hours on Saturday afternoon and night and it all had to be moved or removed from walkways, driveways and our roof. What a job! We started out by shoveling the walks and snow blowing the driveway. Then, after breakfast, DH started work on pulling snow down from the roof. It's a big roof and there was a lot of snow. It took him most of the day. By the end of the day he figured he had moved more than 300 cu ft of snow - a LOT of snow and hard work. With his blood pressure issues, he had some dangerous times there. It was really a bit frightening for both of us. 



On Saturday night, as I was going to bed, I took this photo
of my front door porch and the mountain of snow that
we have next to it. It was covered in an additional 8" of
snow (up to 12" in some places). Very pretty, but it would
be a very busy Sunday. 




Of course, nothing can really go smoothly, and in the middle of all of this, I got a recorded notification from my security alarm company that they had lost communication with the shop. So, I had to put away my shovel for a while and drive over there to make sure everything was secure and OK. The shop was fine, everything seemed to be working properly, but while I was there, I shoveled the front and bask sidewalks for the shop. It saves me work on Monday, at least. 



As DH ran the snowblower, I cleaned up the edges and did
the walkways. Here's my shovel next to the pile at the
bottom of our driveway. The shovel is there to offer a
bit of scale, but the pile is more than four feet high. 



Then I returned home again and started shoveling scatter from the roof. That sounds mild, but it really isn't. When he's pulling down snow, it's cascading down that large mountain of snow in the front of the house and filling the window wells, increasing the mountain, and recovering the sidewalk up to the front porch (which is also covered again and again). I think I ended up shoveling the same areas at least three times. 



I'm standing at street level and this is my mailbox. I got
the street cleared so that our mail can get delivered.
Yeah, the snow really is piled that high. I blame the
city snowplows for a lot of this mess. 



As a reward, DH took me to Red Lobster for dinner. "Lobsterfest" is going on, and we totally indulged. It was so good! I'm up three pounds from that dinner, but it'll be off in a couple of days. No worries and well worth it. When we got back home we settled down to watch the closing ceremonies of the Winter Olympics. We're already looking forward to Beijing in 2022. It's always good to have a long-term goal at my age - something to strive for - LOL. 



Looking back at the front of the house, you can see
the mountain of snow at my front porch from a
different angle. The snow on the roof is approx 12"
deep. By the end of the day, DH had pulled most of
that off from this part of the roof as well
as the back. It's how we avoid ceiling leaks and
ice dams. It's a TON of work for him, though,
and we're not getting younger. 



I'm continuing to work on getting my new phone set up and arranged the way I want. I'm happy that my old phone isn't totally dead - it makes transferring data and organizing set-ups much easier for me. As I had suspected, it was a charging issue with my old phone. A flat wireless charger works great, so that's what I'll use for my old phone from this point forward. My new phone is a Google Pixel 2, the first non-Motorola phone I've had in a very long time. I like most of it, although I'll possibly switch back to Motorola when I upgrade this one in a few years; but so far I'm pretty pleased with the Google phone. The photos throughout this post were all from my new phone. 

Happy Monday to all. I'm SO looking forward to my swim - have to work off some of that lobster and cheddar-bay biscuit weight - LOL. Enjoy your day. 


No comments: