Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Wrapping It Up - The Year and Gifts

Holiday cards have been arriving at my door and I'm totally delighted. Tomorrow I'll try to post a list of those whose cards have been received in a general "Thank You" for brightening my holidays. It'll be a nice way to celebrate the eve of Solstice. But for now, instead of "Visions of Sugar Plums", I've got mental lists of what still has to be done before the weekend. 



I'm not this fancy. Usually I slap on some paper and leave it
at that. No bows or fancy do-das for me. However, that doesn't
mean I can't appreciate a pretty wrapping job. These are
just lovely (as long as there aren't mites in the pine cones). 



All of my gifts have been purchased and shipped (if needed). I still have to toss some wrapping paper onto Chickie's, but that's no big deal. I also have to wrap other gifts for DH, but again, no hassle. I'm picking up our Christmas Ham (Honey-Baked Ham - soooooo good) on Thursday morning along with our annual Candy Cane Pie. DH will pick up a standing rib roast late in the week for our Christmas dinner. I leave that up to him - he's much better at choosing beef than I am, and it's expensive, so better he pays - LOL. 



Apparently this is a British set of screen printed heavy-weight
paper along with stenciled cards and candy-cane
string. It's quite beautiful and festive. 



I don't decorate my house - barely decorate my store. I love decorated homes, but for a few years there had three stores to decorate plus my house. I got burned out and haven't recaptured the "fun" part of decorating again. The family holiday get-together will happen on New Year's Eve this year, and we'll actually attend! Usually they hold family things on Saturdays and since we work that day, we always miss out. This year they switched days to accommodate us (I'm very grateful) so we'll be there. Everyone is bringing a dish to share. I'll be doing mini-meatballs - either Bar-B-Que or Sweet and Sour. Nummy! 



I think I'm really enjoying the more rustic and "natural" look
of brown paper, but here they are also wrapping some
packages in burlap. What a cute idea! 



Things are winding down. Solstice arrives on Thursday morning - the ending of one year and beginning of the next. Momentous things can happen on celestial holidays, I'm praying, as I always have and always do, for peace and understanding. Perhaps I should shift my prayers to "Patience". Maybe that's something that's needed more than Peace. Maybe Patience coupled with a desire to actually listen and negotiate in good faith could resolve this knife's edge we are standing upon into a wide platform leading into a future into which we could all walk side-by-side as equals. I know - I'm dreaming again ... sigh



Here, the addition of a bright garland makes a standard butcher
paper wrapping so special! Using interesting twine, painting
pine needles onto the paper, or using pom-poms and
a glue gun can also dress up plain paper into something
extra special. 



Have a wonderful Tuesday. The pool is calling me and since I'm going into this holiday season at a new weight low, I'll keep on keeping on and I'll be back tomorrow. 


No comments: