Thursday, July 27, 2017

Cities vs Suburbia

I'm still doing kitty care and the cats are doing just fine. My allergies, unfortunately, are starting to kick up and be annoying. I suspect that's because of increased contact with the little demons. I'm still keeping contact to a minimum (unfortunately) but that's because I have to. Damn, I just hate being fond of cats and unable to indulge in a good rub-down and purr fest.


There's something wonderful about stroking and cuddling a cat. I love
cats, they also love me, but my allergies don't love either of us. *sigh*



Chickie left South Dakota yesterday and she's in Montana now. It's really just a hop, skip and a jump from South Dakota, since Montana abuts the Dakotas on their western border. Now she's into "family reunion" mode - spending time with cousins, etc for the next few days. I hope everyone has a good time, but family relationships are not my forte. I have always felt that my family tolerates me because they enjoy my hubby, but that's OK. I'm a bit of a loner by choice.


In Medieval times, people were crowded into walled cities for their
protection and defense. Here is a photo of the picturesque walled
city of Carcassonne, France. 


In the history of civilization, there were those who lived in towns and settlements with others. These convivial people would open up shops, taverns, and stables, and they would happily exchange services for cooked food and warm blankets. It's an OK life, but I would have been the country mouse.


I like the wide open vistas of the country, but I like the convenience
of the city. I wouldn't want to live in the center of the city, but
living in the outskirts is just fine. I get my quiet, but don't have
to drive more than a half-hour to pick up milk for dinner. 


My preference is to be on the outskirts or even totally in the countryside instead of in the middle of the town. I enjoy clean, and that's not really possible with a lot of people. I also like the quiet that being away from the town center can provide.


I was raised in the city suburbs, in stand-alone houses in small developments
or areas. I don't like "suburbia", I like mixed-use areas. I can easily walk
to the grocery store, several excellent restaurants or the nearby college, I'm
only five minutes away from my YMCA by car, yet I'm still in a residential
neighborhood. I like living where I do and I love my house. 


Yet here I am, living in a first-tier suburb of a major metropolitan area. Why? Well, my personal living space is quiet, with only one neighbor somewhat close, and I still get the conveniences of city living, while having a nice, open space in which to enjoy nature. It's the best of both worlds. I know that someday I'll probably have to downscale and move because of physical limitations, but I'm hoping that doesn't happen for many more years yet.


I haven't read this, so can't recommend it personally, but
OMG, what sitcoms did to skew an entire generation's
views of what family and family life should be like is
almost criminal! 


So are you a city mouse or a country mouse? Do you enjoy the quiet of birds serenading the sunrise, or do you prefer the whiz of traffic noises entering your early morning dreams? Whichever kind of person you are, I hope you have a wonderful Thursday.


No comments: