Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Happy Solstice - Thinking Ahead

Good Solstice to all on this lovely summer day. It's my "day off", I have a long list of errands to get whipped into shape and I'll be celebrating the end of Spring and beginning of Summer all day. As if to celebrate with perfect timing, the Minnesota State Fair announced their new foods for the upcoming year yesterday. We have lots of time to get our lists of "I want to try this", or "never in a million years would I want to eat this", together.


I'm not a fan of Granny's Fudge Puppies, but this one is new this year.
The "Bacon Up Pup" is a Belgian waffle with bacon in the batter, dipped
in chocolate, drizzled with maple syrup and topped with whipped
cream and more bacon. Of course, it is served on a stick.
Want to see the new foods, just follow this link



The one thing that came through clearly is bacon. It seems evident that bacon is one of the lynchpins for this year's new foods. I happen to be a great fan of bacon, so I'm not finding that to be a problem, but if someone didn't like the meat on personal or religious grounds, it could be an issue. I went carefully through the list, looked at each food, and resigned myself to the fact that there are a lot of these I want to try.


Giggles Campfire Grill is one of my favorite places to eat. Their
food is usually fantastic. This year their new food is Duck Bacon
Won Tons and they look interesting enough that I may have to
try one of these. Of course, I still want my Walleye Cakes from
Giggles - they're a standby "must have" food for me at the State Fair. 


Realistically speaking I know that many of these will sound much better than they will taste. Hungry Table usually does a total run through of tasting all of the new foods on the first day of the fair and then posting reviews. Since Sharon and I usually get to the Fair closer to the end of the multi-day run, we'll have ample time to read the reviews and fine-tine our "want to eat" lists.


"Wild Bill's Breakfast Bake" is a new food at the Blue Barn. I've
never tried anything they serve and been disappointed, so I'll
add this to my possibles menu. It's scrambled eggs, roasted
chicken and chorizo sausage baked and topped with salsa and
a mix of lettuce, pickled red onions and cilantro. 


So here it is, the first day of official summer and I'm already thinking about the end of the season when my BFF Sharon once again comes to visit and we celebrate the essence of Minnesota by experiencing the "Great Minnesota Get-Together" at the State Fair. But there are several months before September, and lots of swimming left to do so I'm off to the pool. Have a wonderful Wednesday and Happy Solstice!



No comments: