Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Thanks ,Gurus and Computers

Gurus are wonderful people. In general they are teachers, but they are also do-ers, and my Computer Guru falls under this second category. Dale and I have known each other for many years now, so I wasn't surprised when he phoned me after reading an email I had sent regarding the hard drive and my Win 98 system. Fortunately he had good news - he has drives available that would be appropriate for my system, and even has one that is new. So once again my Wednesday will consist of driving north with a computer in the back of Minion to see the wizard and watch him do his magic. The store will be without an operational computer for a while, but hopefully I'll be back there by 11:00 am or so on my white horse, upgraded computer in hand. Well ... ok ... so Minion is really red!


Once again I am riding to the rescue. This seriously crunches my time, and
also means my store will not have an operational sales system until I return
with the upgraded computer late this morning. Here's hoping the transfer
goes smoothly and that all of the inventory transfers over to the new hard
drive without blips and glitches. 


I'm sending out mega-thanks to all of my friends who responded with advice and offers to send me old computers and/or drives they had available. Truly, I can't thank you enough for the offers. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!


I'm giving each one of you the Official Seal of Awesomeness! 


Of course, since I'll be spending my morning with computer things, my day off will again be compromised and dashed to the rocks at the foot of the cliff of my life. DH has been building a multi-block wall to help with our water run-off issues. He had offered to work for me tomorrow if his new saw blade hasn't arrived, but the shipping schedule I got from the supplier shows that it will be delivered today. *sigh* That means he won't be working for me after all, and I'll be even more crunched for time to get things finished before Labor Day.


I own more than 25 books by Asimov, including
the three books in the Foundation Trilogy. I'm not
sure if I'll keep all 25+, but they'll survive the
first cull. 


But - I'm just going to have to roll with the punches. Looks like I'll be carrying LOTS of boxes down because DH said he wanted to just start going through them to make his choices - that he couldn't do it effectively from a list. I'll work with the list as a basic start first. I know in the A's, for instance, that I'm going to hold on to my novels by Asimov, I might keep one novel by Poul Anderson, I'll flip through my Piers Anthony, but probably won't keep those, but my Robert Asprin books might survive the first cull. The majority of the books are mine, so most of the decisions also will be. We'll get this done, but it won'e be easy.




Once again, a huge "Thank You" to each and every one of you who responded to my cry out for a hard drive with such generosity. You're AMAZING and I'm so thankful I have such great friends. Have a wonderful Wednesday, and please cross your fingers for me one more time for this hard-drive switch to go smoothly and my data to transfer easily. If not, I may have to deal with the old drive and just hope for the best - something that really doesn't happen in the world of computers. LOL Have a great Wednesday.


No comments: