Monday, July 27, 2015

Weekend Wrap-Up

Le Tour de France is over for one more year. Chris Froome (Sky) won the Tour with a time of 1 minute 12 seconds ahead of Nairo Quintana (Movistar). Quintana's team also won the team trophy. For Sprint winner it was Peter Sagan (Tinkoff-Saxo) who won but the stage win was pulled of by the man in second - Andre Greipel (Lotto-Soudal). The King of the Mountain was Chris Froome (Sky) once more, winning by nine points over the second place Nairo Quintana (Movistar). Best young rider was Nairo Quintana (Movistar), and I suspect it won't be long before he's standing at the top of the podium, having won second in 2013 and now again in 2015 (he took a year off from Le Tour in 2014). It was a thrilling end on the cobblestones, fighting the rain until the final sections, and the last sprint was won by Andre Greipel (Lotto-Soudal). As always, I was thrilled by watching these finely honed athletes ride across the landscape of France (and this year also Holland and Belgium). It's impressive and breath-taking.


The final podium. Center - Chris Froome, left - Nairo Quintana, and
right, in third place, Alejandro Valverde. It was a fabulous race. 


My Sunday was filled with pantry work after we finished watching the final stage of Le Tour. We installed the shelving units we had stained last week and began staining the shelves to fit them. I also took time to vacuum. It's hot with some really beastly humidity, so everything we were doing was as if we were in a steam bath. Ugh! I'm going to be very happy to get in the water today for Guppy Day.


Our humidity over the weekend was hellish - as it we were working
in a steam bath. We threw steaks on the grill last night for dinner, along
with some grilled corn. Lucky me - I saved half of my meal and can
have it for tonight also. Nom, nom! 


Chickie is at the tail end of her vacation, heading back home today or very early tomorrow. I have today as a final "feed the cat" day, but that can be changed if needed. We were texting each other back and forth while watching Saturday's stage of Le Tour. We both love Alpe d-Huez and were commenting via text as the boys rode their way up the 21 hairpins to the top. I miss having her around :-) I'm sure her cat will be very happy to have her back home once more.


I'm used to seeing earth moving equipment in large expanses of open
land. I'm not used to seeing machines like this directly in front
of my door, less than 20 feet away from me. It's a bit terrifying
at times. 


So today is relatively boring, except that I still have metal T-Rex in front of my store's door and another week or more of serious destruction/rebuilding going on before the machines will move down the street. It's really a pain. Last week's sales numbers reflected how awful getting to and from the shop is right now, and I really didn't need that. *sigh* Time to go to the gym and work some of this stress out! Have a great Monday!


No comments: