Saturday, February 28, 2015

City Statues - Why Not Photos for a Saturday

Happy Saturday. I'm dressed for the gym, but since it doesn't open until 6:00 am on Saturday, I have more time than usual to put together a blog post. I'm in the mood for the unusual, but still public. So I'm looking for images of city/municipal sculptures. Here's what I found, I hope you enjoy.


These statues are called the "Rock Garden of Chandigarh", located
in Chandigarh, India. What's really unique about these is that they
are made 100% from municipal waste. 



The "Spirit of Detroit" is a large sculpture commissioned in 1955. It stands
outside the Coleman A Young Municipal Center in Detroit, Michigan (USA).
He holds an gilded bronze orb in one hand and a family grouping in the other,
symbolizing God and family, the foundations of the city and humanity.
Originally costing $55,000, it is currently valued at $1 million. 


Here's a lovely young woman basking in the sun, a statue
along Playa Madera, Mexico. There are seven bronze statues,
each slightly larger than life, along the shore between
Playa Madera and Playa Municipal. Each sculpture
represents one of the seven indigenous peoples in the area. 



Here's something a bit different. This wonderful elephant
is located at Hat Yai municipal park, Thailand. Isn't
he just wonderful? 

And finally, here's a lovely botanical statue pair to end today's post. These are plants blooming and growing around metal frameworks. I'm not sure what the creatures are, but they're very pretty.



My best guess is these are snails or something similar, but I truly have no
idea. The sculptures are located in Tennoji Park, a botanical park in Japan. 


And on that note, I'm off to the gym. Have a wonderful weekend, I'll be back on Monday.


No comments: