Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Thoughts About Friendship

I've lost friends before. I've lost in-person friends to accident, disease, and distance. I've lost on-line friends to opinion differences, cyber-arguments, and changes of interest. I've been friended by hundreds and unfriended by some. Usually when that happens I feel a sense of sorrow or guilt. I wonder if I might have handled things differently, if I might have walked a different moral road, or been more open to ideas or expression, but not this time. No.


Where's the guilt? Where's the angst? No ... not this time. 


Yesterday I was unfriended by Mikononyte (still not sure of the spelling) and, frankly, I'm not sorry about this one at all. I immediately unfriended her in return and made sure she wasn't on my DW friend list either. Frankly, anyone who posts crap like: Not to disparage your ancestry or your sympathies, but I will say this (as I always do when someone pulls the "Pity the Jews" card), pushes every one of my "NO" buttons. And when I criticized her politely and other friends of mine took exception to her words (but still well within the boundaries of polite), apparently she took offense. Well, win some, lose some and some are better off lost. (Thanks to those of my friends who spoke up against her comments. *Hugs* to each and every one of you.)


I can pull up my big girl pants and carry on...


It was not her first time posting something that angered my f-list. About two years ago she posted something very negative about blacks and I was appalled. I had several of my friends PM me and tell me they had friended her because she was a friend of mine, but that they were ending it now. I understood their view and shared it. But I allowed her to stay a friend because I hoped that she might learn a bit of softness and kindness by reading and commenting, and because I knew she was going through some personal issues that I felt might have influenced her statement.


Just as in everyday life, you can choose your friends. I'm much
happier today than I was on Monday. 


Apparently I was WRONG. So, friend today, unfriend tomorrow. She is no longer welcome to graze in my pasture. And even though there are other friends who have become estranged from me, who I would welcome back with open arms, the gates are barred and closed to her.


And because I can't resist leaving you without something beautiful to see,
enjoy my art deco gates. They are open to my friends, closed to others. 


Today is Wednesday, today is drowning guppy day. I have a new swimsuit that is better suited to swimming laps, and I hope I don't make too ridiculous a fish in a pond full of sleek swimmers. I have tons of errands to do, my old dryer is being removed today leaving me a clean laundry area once again, and I'll finally have a chance to speak with Aearwen! Have a great day!

No comments: