Thursday, June 19, 2014

It's Raining, It's Pouring

It's raining cats and dogs out there, DH has already been up three times to check and make sure that we aren't flooding or leaking anywhere (long history of issues with water in this house) and I'm running late because of it. A couple of things before I dive into a quick photo blog of storms (it seemed appropriate).


We all seek shelter in a storm, but holding an umbrella in
a lightning storm is rather foolish (makes for a good pic, though). 


First - I signed up for Camp NaNoWriMo for July. If you've ever been interesting in trying NaNoWriMo without the pressure of committing to 50,000 words in a month, Camp may be just the thing for you. You can set your own word count, choose your own format, etc. I chose a very low word count of only 10,000 words and a topic of Thoughts and Prayers because I want to try out some plot ideas without the pressure of putting 50,000+ words into it.


This isn't like the summer camp where you hid behind the dining
hall because you didn't want to run into that mean girl from
the next cabin. This is a chance to write on a shorter basis and
share with other friends who are also playing in the canoes and with
the horses. Come and join me in a month of easy-going writing. 


Camp NaNoWriMo has cabins available where you can bunk with eleven other people and cheer each other on (meet you at the archery field in 20 minutes?). I'm going to link up with a friend from Germany to form a cabin, but if you decide to join Camp, please let me know and join our cabin. It's always fun to share NaNo with friends and fellow writers, and Camp is much more laid-back and kicky than the big deal of November. Think about joining us.


I think it's the "tent" part that really got me to sign up for
Camp this time. It's summer - we should be camping...


So, on to photos of storms. Storms are so destructive and frightening, but there is such a beauty in them also, that I do love them. I thought I'd share some scenes with all of you for this Thursday.


I'm quite sure this was photoshopped, but it's really quite stunning,
nonetheless. I like the juxtaposition of the tornado and the lightning. 



This photo is real and was from National Geographic. The storm
developed over South Dakota in 2010. So beautiful, so potentially deadly. 



This is a wonderful example of what's called a "shelf cloud". It appeared
over Enschede, Netherlands in 2004. Really stunning photo. 



This photo of a super cell in Montana is by Sean Harvey. Follow the
link to see more of his fabulous work. 



Not all storms are lightning and rain. Here's a dust storm about to take
over this settlement. Dust storms can be huge and deadly and very
frighting. Follow the link for more information on dust storms. 



So, it's time for me to gather my things and get ready to go out into the thunder and lightning we are currently experiencing. Here's a final picture of hope for you.


Storms can leave us with gifts of profound beauty. May your day
be as wonderful as seeing a double-rainbow in the darkened sky. 


Happy Thursday everyone!


No comments: