Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Winter is Coming

We've had some wonderful temperatures, 60's to 70's (18-23 C)during the day and 40's (7 C)overnight. But a change is coming quickly and starting tomorrow our highs will be upper 40's. I don't think I'm really ready for colder temps, although I have been wearing my leather jacket for a few days now. My ideal temps are highs in the 70's and lows in the 40's, so it's been just about perfect lately. But...I live in the snowbelt and winter will come whether I want it to or not.


It's my day off today so I'll be working on my standard housecleaning stuff, but also be marking my maps and determining where I am going to hang them for November. I also have some stuff to scan in for background material. I sent a long list of questions off to my cousin and got her answers. Although I grew up in Aspen, I haven't been back there since the 1970's. She lived there full time for years, though, and has much better memories of locations, etc. It was rather fun because we found ourselves caught up in our memories of the days when we roamed the streets, ate at Pinocchio's and swam in the pool at the Hotel Jerome. Memories...in so many ways they are our touchstones.


So that leads me to wonder, what kind of memories are your dearest ones? When you think of what others will remember about you, what will those memories be? Hopefully you will leave positive memories behind you and those memories will influence others throughout their own lives. The works that we produce in writing, art or music can impact the memories of people generations removed from us. Because of that, each item we produce deserves our absolute best effort. So today, while you write your next story, paint your next picture or solder your next seam, make it your best. Future generations will gain from your care.

No comments: